Malvoisine is a fortified manoir with a long and tumultuous history. Its appearance would suggest little has changed since the 12th century when it was first mentioned as a Fief de Haubert connected to the King of France.
During the hundred years war (1337 to 1429) Malvoisine was a stronghold and occupied by a garrison. Towards the end of this period (1417) and in response to the English invasion, Malvoisine became a strategic part of the Normandy defence system. It was captured by the English (1429) only to be regained by the French 24 years later.
Malvoisine continued to play a role in French history during the 16th century. In the French 'Wars of Religion' the manoir was held by noblemen sympathetic to the Huguenots and served either as a refuge for the defeated or military quarters for the victorious, depending on circumstance.
After the protection afforded them by the Edict of Nantes (1598) was lifted, the Huguenots became targets once more. They used Malvoisine as a secret meeting place, prompting accusations of heresy against the owners, the Lord of Navarre and his wife.
After this turbulence, Malvoisine experienced a more harmonious period of occupation by the French and Belgium nobilities interrupted only briefly by the events of World War II.
Charles Schulz, the cartoonist who brought us Peanuts, was billeted in Malvoisine and the film 'Bon Voyage Charlie Brown' uses Malvoisine as its centre-piece.